Saturday, February 6, 2010

Drake at the Grammy's

As a fellow Torontonian it perhaps goes without saying that I am partial towards Toronto artists but I honestly believe that if you missed the Grammy's this was the only performance worth seeing. Taylor Swift had a nauseating performance with Stevie Nicks which gave me a sense of what caused Kanye to step on stage during Swift's VMA acceptance speech in a drunken furor. She straight up can't sing and while pop music has been notorious for manufacturing formulaic teen icons in the past (lest we forget the Backstreet Boys) it seems that even they had something in the way of vocal chops. I revoke my initial disgust with Kanye's interruption at the VMA's, I mean the man truly loves music and probably realized a long time ago what I am only realizing now. As for Drizzy, the dude has truly come a long way since the wheelchair guy from Degrassi. I will say as a honest fan of his work he is straying a bit from the rawness I knew him for on Comeback Season but it is perhaps just a natural progression as he caters to larger markets and faces the time constraints that come with being successful. This performance killed it though, my favourite part is when they cut to Jamie Foxx mouting the lyrics to Forever off beat. That shit looked like a bad Japanese movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment