Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The World is Yours

The World is Yours - I need to always remember that on my road to the top. It's the inspirational mantra that drove Scarface from the gutter to very top in his corrupt version of the American Dream. But how corrupt were his choices anyways, his ambitions to make in rich in the cocaine trade? Whose world is this? Is it the world of politicians, of business men, of intellectuals...it's a question I grapple with myself from time to time so sometimes when I hear Pete Rock sing those smooth words over the melody I get lost in my own thoughts. The world is mine. There are endless horizons waiting to be conquered. Never cut yourself short of all you might accomplish. How come I never get inspired like this by today's rap?
Nasir Jones is a brilliant musician, an artist in every sense of the word.
"I'm the young city bandit, hold myself down singlehanded
For murder raps, I kick my thoughts alone, get remanded
Born alone, die alone, no crew to keep my crown or throne
I'm deep by sound alone, caved inside in a thousand miles from home
I need a new nigga, for this black cloud to follow..."

No comments:

Post a Comment